Becky by Sarah May

Becky by Sarah May is a supposed retelling of Vanity Fair by William Thackeray. I couldn't tell you if it is or if it isn't, having never read it. So I didn't go into reading this book with any expectations.

I enjoyed the story of Becky, a ruthlessly ambitious woman trying to escape her past and make her way to the top in the newspaper business. This won't be for everyone, as Becky is not a likeable character, but I found the story compelling, wondering just how long Becky could carry on this way before her actions lead to her downfall. 

I also enjoyed the historical perspectives shown as we jump through time by showing different newspaper stories. Some reviewers found it challenging to know where they were time-wise as it's not always terribly clear. However, being an older reader, I remembered some of these historic moments and newspaper stories and was able to orientate myself that way most of the time. 

This is an interesting read, written against the backdrop of the 1990s and shows how far someone will go to make what they perceive to be a better life for themselves. It also made me want to read Vanity Fair to make comparisons.

Becky was out at the end of January 2023.




Comments

Popular Posts