The Mysterious Case of the Alperton Angels, Janice Hallett

This Review contains Spoilers!



This is my first dip into a Janice Hallett book, and it certainly won't be my last. The story is told via a series of WhatsApp messages, emails and transcribes and has a contemporary feel due to the use of media and the way the story and plot are revealed. 

The book starts with Amanda Bailey intending to write a book about the Alperton Angels, a cult-like group that planned to sacrifice a baby due to their beliefs. When this fails, mass murder of the members occurs, and the leader is found guilty and imprisoned. But now the baby is 18, and Amanda would love to find the child and interview them for her novel. But so too would an old journalist colleague from her past. Should the two of them collaborate to find the Alperton baby despite having a history?

As the story starts to unravel, Oliver (the old colleague) seems to be falling under the cult leader's influence and experiencing some other unusual aspects as a result of investigating the case. I found myself fascinated by the psychology of what was happening and why. When it was revealed what was going on, I felt a little gullible but in a good way. It made me go, oh wow - I almost fell for that myself!

The book is fast-paced, and you find yourself saying, I'll just read the next WhatsApp message or one of Ellie's transcribes, and so it continues. It's cleverly written, and one of the reveals was a fascinating insight into revenge and the lengths people will go to seek it.

This is Janice Hallett's third book, so I'm happy to know there are two others I can get my hands on, as I enjoyed the clever storytelling and her refreshing style of writing.

The book is due out on the 19th January 2023.

Comments

Popular Posts