Women like us - Amanda Prowse

I hate to admit that I've never previously read an Amanda Prowse book, but there was something about the title - Women Like Us, that I found appealing. I'm so glad I trusted my instinct.

Women Like Us is a raw, honest and emotional memoir. I loved the opening pages - they pulled me straight in, and I definitely felt on the same wavelength as Amanda, both people who contemplate how quickly they can leave an event to return home to pyjamas and a good book. I think I'm a little older than Amanda; however, some of her descriptions of her young life took me on an enjoyable nostalgic trip. These early descriptions made me laugh and reminded me of the strong women in my own family. It's been forever ago that I thought about celery being displayed in a beer glass with a handle, but yes, this was definitely a thing.

The book is one woman's personal journey and the things she has overcome. Some of these are heartbreaking and I believe will resonate with many women on many levels. The book's final part focuses on health and weight and Amanda's strategy to become healthier and lose weight. I say strategy because I hate the word battle - it feels like a fight and a struggle and something negative that you don't want to be involved in. Yet the way Amanda puts across her way of doing it makes it feel possible for anyone struggling in this area. And yes, I know because I've been there most of my adult life, trying to find the right balance. There's definitely a 'love yourself' message in the book. However,  it's delivered in a personable, relatable way that makes you feel like you're listening to someone who understands and who has not only stood in your shoes but also walked a hundred miles in them.

This is an inspirational book and one I'm sure I'll buy for others when it gets published later this year. It's like sitting down with a friend you've reconnected with from your past and catching up on all the bits of their life you've missed. You'll laugh, cry, and come away feeling the world is full of women like us.

Comments

Popular Posts