Fragile by Sarah Hilary


Fragile is an unsettling read. From the very first page, the reader is drawn into Nell's world as she takes up a position in Starling villa working as a housekeeper for the current occupant, Dr Robin Wilder, who likes things done in a very particular way. The book reads a little like a modern-day Rebecca, in my opinion, although in this case, it is Robin's wife, Caroline, who takes up the role of Mrs Danvers as she tries to undermine and abuse Nell when she unexpectedly returns to the house one day. I found this particularly harrowing to read, as Caroline unpicks Nell's insecurities, making her feel shameful of her background and status.

The story is also told from the perspective of Nell's old foster carer, Meghan, who we find out was in the foster world for the money rather than anything else, and the plot dips and twists between the present and what's happening in the house, and the past and what led Nell to become homeless and taking the job at Starling villa.

I won't share much more, as I don't wish to spoil this one for anyone reading it; suffice to say, many secrets are eventually revealed. 

This is my first book by Sarah Hilary, but it won't be my last. Some of the writing was beautiful, and there were moments when I reread sentences and paragraphs to absorb the words on the page.

This is a book I'd recommend to others. It's not an adrenaline-filled thriller, more of a slow burn that gets under your skin.

Comments

Popular Posts