The Last Thing to Burn, by Will Dean - Horrific yet compelling

I'm having an epic year bookwise. There have been some fabulous reads during the early part of 2021, and they've definitely been a distraction during the lockdown.

I follow Will Dean on social media and find that not only is he a very decent and nice human being, but he's also a great writer. I finished The Last Thing to Burn in less than 24 hours, and this really is one of those 'can't put it down' books. Once you start, you may as well surrender to the fact that absolutely nothing else will get done until you've turned over the last page. It's an adrenalin ride for sure!

This book is horrific yet totally compelling. I haven't come across a villain as despicable as Lenn in forever. His cruelty knows no bounds. And the parts where he sits by the fire telling Thanh Dao that life's really pretty good made me squirm and want to physically harm him! And the repeat of my name's not Jane by the main character throughout the book is so powerful.

Bookshops are physically open again in England on Monday 12th April. I'd definitely recommend adding this one to your list. 

5 stars Mr Dean. Looking forward to reading more of your work. 

Comments

Popular Posts