The Beauty of Impossible Things by Rachel Donohue

I seem drawn to books set by the sea of late, probably because I can't get to the beach during the lockdown, and so reading about it is my next best option. I also love books that feature characters who find themselves outside of societal norms. 

This book is no exception as we follow the story of Natasha. Natasha has the ability to sense future events and premonitions and, after seeing strange blue lights at the Ridge, she decides to speak up about what she believes is coming. The town receives a level of notoriety due to the lights and attracts the media and Dr Black, who has come to investigate further. Natasha finds herself pulled into this world, yet it also isolates her from others who are frightened by her predictions or who simply find it weird. It also puts a wedge in a long-standing friendship she has with Marcus.

Although the plot centres around the lights and a missing teenager, this is also a coming of age story. One in which Natasha has to deal with her feelings for Marcus, her mother falling in love and the impact of this, and it's also about her discovering her voice and coming to understand who she is.

The writing is beautiful yet melancholic. There's so much possibility, yet the decisions Natasha takes sabotage this and impact her own happiness and others' happiness. I loved how the seaside town and its faded glory are described and the depiction of the house and bohemian lifestyle that Natasha's mother chooses to live. It's not often that I'd like a separate novel about a secondary character in a book, but I'd love to read more of Elizabeth.

This book has really stayed with me, and it left me with lots of questions and what-ifs, and I consider that to be a real positive.  It's like I'm not ready to let go of Natasha and what becomes of her just yet.

I also rushed out and bought Rachel Donohue's other book and can't wait to read more of her writing.




Comments

Popular Posts