The Betrayals by Bridget Collins - A Wonderful Read


When I was younger, my late mum had a strange habit, one I couldn't get my head around. She'd ring and tell me about some wonderful book she was reading or a TV programme she was enthralled by. That doesn't sound very strange of course, but the odd bit was that she'd tell me she couldn't bear to read or watch anymore. Her reason, because once she did, it would be done and the joy of it would be over. I'd constantly encourage her to keep going not really understanding her perspective. However, a few days ago, I finally got it.

I've been reading The Betrayals by Bridget Collins, her second adult novel and I didn't want it to end. I was desperate to reach a conclusion, but part of me wanted to hold back because once it was done, that would be it and the world the author had created would no longer be available for me to escape to. I did finish the book, but it has left me feeling somewhat bereft (I think some describe it as a book hangover).

This book is hard to describe, so I'm not going to try. I'm sure there are plenty of other reviews that will provide details should you want to find out more. All I can say is that I was enchanted by the writing. The story and the world the reader finds themselves in is mysterious, compelling and thought-provoking.

It's out today (12th November), and the hardback version looks as beautiful on the outside as the words are inside. 

Thanks to Bridget Collins, Harper Collins UK and NetGalley for providing me with an advance copy in return for an honest review.


Comments

Popular Posts