An October treat - The Nesting by C J Cooke (4 stars)

I do enjoy a seasonal read, particularly at this time of year. October is the perfect month to settle down with a mug of something hot, to snuggle under a blanket and to read books that make your spine tingle and which have you constantly looking over your shoulder. I don't know about you, but I do enjoy a good scare from time to time.

The Nesting by C J Cooke certainly provides some elements that will have you looking into the dark corners of your bedroom and watching out for the Sad Lady. I'll say no more about her, other than she's not someone who simply needs a little cheering up! 

The book begins with us meeting Lexi who is at a real low point - her relationship has ended, she is homeless, suicidal and lacking family structure. She fakes a job application and gets taken on as a Nanny to a motherless family and finds herself (now Sophie) in a remote area of Norway looking after two girls while their father completes an architectural build which was started when his wife was alive. 

In some ways, this book reminded me a little of Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier. We have a house in a gorgeous setting, a dead wife, an obsessive housekeeper, a girl trying her best to fit in and a father reminiscent of Maxim De Winter. But also, we have mysterious footprints, sightings of the Sad Lady, Norwegian folklore, infidelity, childlessness, suicide, a diary that reveals secrets and as in all the best horror stories - do not under any circumstances go down into the basement! If you're a horror fan, I guess you know where that advice leads. 

The book moves along at a good pace, and I not only enjoyed the supernatural elements, but I also came to care about Sophie/Lexi and liked the protective and loving relationship she shared with the girls in the family. I also loved the Norway setting and the descriptions of the landscape and fjords. 

The only thing that let the book down a little was that it felt like everything got wrapped up very quickly and abruptly at the end. It didn't detract too much from my enjoyment, but I'd have liked a slower unravelling to reach the final conclusion.

Some have described this as a modern-day Gothic, and I'd agree. I'd definitely recommend this to others and would happily read other books by this author.  It's a solid 4 stars.

Thanks to the author, the publisher and NetGalley for sharing an early copy of this book. 

If you'd like an October scare, you don't have to wait long as this one is published on the 15th of October.

Comments

Popular Posts