After Sundown - A collection of Horror Stories


After Sundown is an anthology of 20 stories in the horror genre. Flame Tree Press hopes this open submission process mixing established and new authors will be an annual event.

There's a good selection of stories in this collection, and it was fun to dip into these tales during October. As with most story collections, there are some you love and others that don't do it for you, but I'm sure there's something for everyone in here. Horror can be interpreted in many different ways. What scares one person, may have no effect on another depending on your tolerance levels and familiarity with this type of writing. I personally didn't find anything in these tales that particularly chilled me or had me looking over my shoulder. 

That's not to say I didn't enjoy many of the stories. My personal favourites were Swanskin by Alison Littlewood (which I absolutely loved), Research by Tim Lebbon, Mine Seven by Elana Gomel (I particularly liked the setting and atmosphere in this one), Creeping Ivy by Laura Purcell, We All Come Home by Simon Bestwick and Murder Board by Grady Hendrix.

I'd happily look out for this anthology again next year to see what's been accepted and included. 

3.5 stars

Comments

Popular Posts