Not for Me

It’s strange when you read a book that everyone else seems to love, but you don’t. That’s what happened to me last week when I finished reading 'What Lies Between Us' by John Marrs. I’ve read two previous books by this author and enjoyed both, especially 'The Passengers' which I thought was a fantastic book. When I got the opportunity to read his latest release via NetGalley, I was excited to see where he'd take me next.

However, this book didn’t do it for me. It involves the relationship between a mother and a daughter. Their relationship has become toxic for reasons I won’t share so I don’t spoil it for you. Other than to say things are so bad that the daughter is keeping the mother captive in the house they share. I felt this story could have been captured in a novella and perhaps even a short story. It went on and on, and I found it hard to pick up and keep going. It started well, and the end also had more pace, but there was a big middle chunk that left me cold and disinterested. I'm sorry to say that I didn’t care what happened to either of the main characters. I even guessed most of the twists before they occurred, so when these were revealed, they didn’t make me gasp in awe and the end actually had me rolling my eyes! 

But you know we can’t all like the same things and as I said others absolutely loved this book and there are glowing five-star reviews everywhere. So, I’ll leave it up to you to decide if this one is for you.

I do have other books by John Marrs on my kindle, and I’d read another based on the other books I've enjoyed. However, in my opinion, head to 'The Passengers' or 'The One' before this. Both were real page-turners and had me awake into the night to try and read just one more chapter. Perhaps I am more suited to this author’s dystopian style fiction.

If this one does appeal, it's immediately available and can be found in all the usual places.

Thanks to NetGalley, the publisher and John Marrs who provided me with an early copy of this in return for an honest review.

Comments

Popular Posts