Cut to the Bone by Roz Watkins

I'm usually more of a stand-alone crime novel reader, but am first in line with my hand up if I know there's a new book in the Meg Dalton series. And this is the third. 

As usual, Roz keeps us turning the pages to discover what’s happened to the girl who disappeared at the local abattoir. Not only has she vanished, but she’s Insta famous, an advocate for meat-eaters across the world and an employee at the local slaughterhouse. 

The story unravels, and we find out there’s a lot more involved in this than a missing, presumed dead girl, and it was a totally unexpected outcome for me which is always a positive. During the novel, we flick back and to in time exploring the past of some of the main characters and leading us to the final reveal. I enjoyed this aspect as well as some of the humour that Roz slips in along the way. Without giving too much away, an encounter with a pig towards the end of the novel genuinely had me laughing out loud.

So far, I’ve enjoyed the series immensely, and I like Meg, who’s not your usual flawed alcoholic detective. She's by no means perfect but a lot more relatable to than some cliche versions of detectives you get in other police procedural novels. Roz also has a way of putting across themes that make you think, and this book is no exception.

I wouldn’t say this was my favourite book in the series. I particularly loved book 2, however, when Roz releases the next, I’ll definitely be back for more.

I’d like to thank NetGalley, Roz Watkins and the publisher for enabling me to read an early copy of this book. But you’ve not long to wait as this one will be released later this month.



Comments

  1. Recommended by you, Angela, I read the first two Roz Watkins books featuring Meg Dalton and enjoyed them. Like you say, nice to find a fictional detective who isn't forever reaching for the Scotch! And Meg's backstory is handled very well without slowing the cracking pace. The second book finished with the first chapters of 'Cut to the Bone' which intrigued me enough to want to read the rest. I did feel that there were too many themes/issues tentatively explored in the first two books. Felt overwhelmed at times and would have preferred one or two of the issues looked at in a bit more depth.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts