If you like crime books, you'll love this

Rules for Perfect Murders by Peter Swanson
Peter Swanson has been on my list of authors to return to for a while after I read 'The Kind Worth Killing', but for some reason, I'd not managed to read more of his work. So glad I did when I managed to get hold of a copy of his latest book, Rules for Perfect Murders.

As someone who loves reading crime novels,  this one ticked all the boxes for me. Even before I got my hands on it and read the blurb, I was utterly hooked. I just hoped it would live up to my expectations.

The book starts with a bookshop owner, Malcolm, being visited by a member of the FBI who has linked recent murders and a blog written by him. The blog is his view on crime novels that feature perfect murders. Malcolm gets involved in the investigation and circumstances of these murders and reads the books to explore more. I liked Malcolm and his quirky bookstore employees and customers. I also enjoyed the book being set during the Winter and the scenes set in the snow and cold. It's an excellent book to curl up with in front of the fire.

There are lots of twists as the book unravels, but I loved the way this was done. At times, it was laid out overtly and gave a wink to the crime genre that made me laugh out loud. But others were hidden, and I didn't see them coming. Is it the best crime novel you're ever likely to read? No, I don't think so, but it is fun and clever and very entertaining. There is a lot to like about it.

It was also quite the coincidence that earlier this year, I'd read Strangers on a Train, by Patricia Highsmith. Having a familiarity with this novel, made this book come even more to life for me and it also made me want to re-read The Secret History by Donna Tartt as well as dip into other books on the blog list. If you've not read the books mentioned, their plots are revealed so if you're precious about that sort of thing, be aware.

Overall, this was a thoroughly enjoyable read, and I'd recommend it to others, particularly those who enjoy the crime genre. And the answer to my earlier question, did it meet my expectations? Yes, it certainly did.

Thank you to Peter Swanson, the publisher and NetGalley for enabling me to read an advance copy of this book.

Comments

Popular Posts