Wintering - How I learned to flourish when life becomes frozen

Among my friends, I know I am considered unusual because of my love of Winter. It's a tough decision for me on whether Autumn or Winter is my favourite season. This book, Wintering, by Katherine May, called to me, and I'm so glad it did. And as fate would have it, I got to read it while watching snow fall gently earlier this week.

The book is beautifully written touching on many aspects of Winter, but the one concept that grabbed my attention was that each of us might go through personal periods of Winter (those times when life seems darker and colder - whatever the season). I'd not come across this before, but it's something that will stay with me. When I talked about it to a friend, she also added 'and like the seasons, after Winter comes Spring'. When we are amid our personal Winters, they can seem neverending, yet they are usually temporary situations and often brighter times are on their way.

The book explores many aspects of winter, including sleep patterns, hibernation, nature, how others in colder climates cope. Two of my favourite pieces were around winter outdoor swimming and St Lucy's Day.

This book is one that touches the soul. It's also one that gives you permission to surrender to the natural rhythms of Winter as a time to nurture and refresh in readiness for Spring ahead. I'd recommend it to others, and I've already bought a copy for a friend who I think will appreciate its messages. It's a book that I'll pull off the shelf again and re-read as a reminder to be kind to myself should Winter show up for me unexpectedly.

Comments

Popular Posts