When the Lights Go Out by Carys Bray (Book Review)




As an avid reader, is there anything more exciting than the prospect of getting your hands on a book from a favourite author ahead of release? Well, I recently joined NetGalley which enables you to do just that!

There was an absolute rush of anticipation when one of the books I'd requested, the latest book from Carys Bray - When the Lights Go Out was accepted. I settled in to read this while I was away on a Winter break in Wales and to dip into the intricacies and complexities of relationships that Cary Bray writes about so well. 


Here's my review and thoughts:


Was there a more perfect time to review this book just as storm Ciara hit the UK and images of flooded Britain filled my phone screen.


Yet if you believe this book is only about climate change, in my opinion, you are mistaken. For me, it's much more. As well as the focus on climate change, it's also about relationships and one thing that Cary Bray writes exceptionally well about is relationships, especially when they break down.

Cracks appear very early on in this book when Emma finds out that her husband is standing at a traffic island with signs highlighting climate issues. Chris only wants to protect his family from what he perceives as the floods and catastrophes that are definitely coming. However, his fears become obsessions and these tip over causing consequences he never anticipated.

The book is set at Christmas which heightens the emotions and the conflict of different family members being thrown together to make the best of things. I particularly liked Dylan and how he managed the interpersonal family relationships.

I found it melancholic and the odd sentence or two pushed me over the edge into tears.

Overall, I think the book is beautifully written and with a sense of hope that prevails at the end.


Comments

Popular Posts