A place to create

2020 has arrived and it has a good feeling about it.

High on my list of things to do this year is to knuckle down and finally write my darn book, because like they say, it's not going to write itself! Perhaps it's right up there on your list too. I've had lots of good intentions but as you probably know the road to hell is paved with them. I can give you a hundred excuses as to why my novel's not finished and plenty of procrastination techniques to distract you away from the actual act of writing - like writing this blog post perhaps...



Help is at hand. If you want to learn more about the craft of writing, the good people at Ty-Newydd have lots of opportunities. I attended the crime writing course in November 2019. It was brilliant. 

But back to book writing.


One of the things writers complain about is not having the time or space to devote to their writing. You'll often hear the cry of 'but life just keeps getting in the way.' I
t's true, it does. If that's the case for you, you might well benefit from a stay at Nant, the lovely retreat cottage in the grounds of Ty Newydd. I had four nights here at the end of my course. The cottage is recently refurbished and feels fresh and inviting and there's lots of welsh blankets to snuggle under.  It was perfect to spend time here to reflect on what I'd learnt, to commit to some writing and to kick back a little and enjoy the gorgeous surroundings and countryside.




The joy of staying somewhere like Nant is that it takes you away from all your usual distractions. There are no children to taxi about, no timetable or place to be. It's your rules. Don't want to eat until you've finished working on that last chapter. Fine, so be it. There's no-one else to think about. As well as a table in the main living area, there's also a desk in each bedroom so if you have the urge to start writing at 4 am, you can. You can literally roll out of bed and start. 


If you want to gather your thoughts or get to grips with that tricky plot issue, there are some beautiful walks close by, and the small town of Criccieth is also a short drive, or alternatively, you can follow the coast path down to the beach. The cottage is two bedroomed, so it's up to you if you choose to stay solo or invite a friend, perhaps another writing companion to discuss your progress with over a glass of wine in the evenings.


My stay in Autumn treated me to some golden moments, but I'm sure whatever time of year you stay, the surroundings will deepen your creativity and sense of wellbeing. I'd happily return in any season.

To find out more about both Ty Newydd and Nant, you can follow the links below.

Ty Newydd Creative Writing Centre

Nant Writers Retreat




Comments

  1. Now I want to go there, although I think, after Ruwais desert, I shall be much distracted by the lovely countryside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very easy to get distracted away from writing. I find it happens all the time!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts