My non-book buying year - Part 2

Wow - July already. Is it me or do the days seem to go by faster and faster? My mum always used to say she knew she was getting old when police constables started to look younger and younger. I think my own experience is the sound of the days, months and years as they whizz by. We’re now officially in summer and we certainly know it this year with day after day of sunshine and soaring temperatures. These are the sorts of days that remind me of being young. Days spent swimming and sitting by the outdoor pool, playing swing ball with my neighbour until aching arms stopped play and days when a good book was often all the company I needed. 

I’ve ventured to the outdoor brine pool in Nantwich once this year, not returned to Swing ball but the one constant in my life is reading and the joy of a new book. The company of books still brings comfort, adventure, escape and peace. I’m still very happy to lose myself amongst the words of others. 

But how are things going this year - for this is my non-buying book year? As we are in July, I have made it through six full months without spending a single penny on a book this year to date. I’m halfway through my experiment and its been very interesting.

So here’s my progress so far for anyone that’s interested. The last three months were a little bit easier as it was my birthday in April. My husband treated me to some birthday books and a couple of voracious reading friends, who couldn’t believe I was doing this, gifted me Amazon vouchers with the definite request that it was money for books. I felt this fell into the original boundaries of the project, although I’m sure some of you might suggest this is stretching the premise somewhat!


 My wonderful husband bought me a great selection of thrillers. He knows the sort of books I love to read. Who doesn’t want to get in the bath and read about some grisly murder or trail behind the detective watching him or her slowly unravel the puzzle that will lead to the killer being caught and the knowledge that all will be well in the world again? No, perhaps it’s just me then. Those new books have definitely kept me going, although I haven’t read them all. I wanted to treasure the experience of them. I didn’t want to fall into the habit of simply reading the new and shiny. I know I have magpie tendencies so this has been a deliberate ploy.

It’s the same with the Amazon vouchers. Usually, the gift cards would be all spent up as I’d spend random hours flicking through to see what’s new, and what excites and appeals. A quick click here and there and they’d instantly be mine. But actually, its been good to restrict myself and really think about what I want. I've made mindful choices. 

There have been so many recommendations I’ve received this year via many of the online book clubs I participate in and contribute to and usually, I would have bought many more books. I also know that some of these would have been easily discarded and never thought about again. But as a writer myself, do I want to think that’s what someone would do with my work? Real consideration about what to buy has added value to the item. Now if I’ve chosen it with care. it is more treasured. 

I had £30 in total to spend on Amazon and I still have £20 remaining. The books I bought with the £10 were a hardback edition of The Lido by Libby Page. This was a wonderful summer read and it was great to hold a hardback in my hands again. There’s something extra special I think about that experience, but that could be another blog post in its own right so let’s not dwell there. In addition, I was able to buy a couple of kindle books. One was a cozy mystery involving a vicar which I am currently reading and which is part of a bigger series featuring this main character. The second I am particularly intrigued by. It is a book about two people who meet on a writing retreat and what happens to them. It sounds quite sinister from its blurb and I can’t wait to get to that one. Both these books were recommendations. 

I still have £20 left to spend in the next six months. A little treat here and there in the Autumn and into the darker winter months. Or maybe, it will sit in my account until the project is complete and will be a new year treat. If not, I’m tempted to say to the friend who kindly gifted it to me that she should take a look at my Amazon wishlist and tell me which books she’d like me to buy. That way, it would be like her selecting for me rather than the other way around. As she lives in the Middle East, the gift card was the easiest option, but I like the idea of her browsing and choosing books that interest the two of us. 

What I love about the whole experience is that I am once again excited by books. Even a browse up and down the bookshelves at home has become interesting. I talk to my husband about the books he has read and what his recommendations might be. We talk about what sort of book I’m currently interested in reading. Do I want to try a different genre? Have I ever read anything by this author? Do I fancy a short story collection? We find books from the time we spent in America, their formats different from those you buy in the UK. We reminisce over where they were bought and what we were doing when we bought them. It’s fun and it makes me happy and the whole thing feels very special.

This experience has also taken me outside of my usual genres. I’ve dipped into a little science fiction and a Jeeves and Wooster book that I know I never would have got to had it not been for this experiment. Both these were recommendations from my husband and both were really enjoyable.

I can’t say it has always been easy to deny myself, but it has felt easier to say no as time has gone by. I still love to hang out in a bookshop. Now I pop any books I like the look of on my wishlist so I don’t forget what they are. I shall come for you my pretties - please be patient. And of course, I could always borrow or reserve at my local library, but really there’s been no need. I know the book will still be available. I don’t have to read it right now. How interesting will it be when I finally read The Tattooist of Auschwitz? It will be like going to see a film six months after the hype and enjoying it for what it is rather than the experience being expectation led. 

I think the biggest temptation has been when a book I’d really like to read pops up for 99p on Amazon or one of the online book clubs makes an announcement about that best selling thriller I’ve fancied also currently being available for 99p.  I have, however, managed to resist. I don’t want to break my pattern now that I’m six months into my project.

It’s been an interesting time and I believe that I can achieve my objective and get through the whole year without spending one penny on a book. I’ll be updating again later in the year to let you know how things are progressing. If you have any similar projects you’re working on or you have a habit you’re trying to break, I’d love to hear how it’s going and what strategies you’ve used to help you keep going.


Until, next time, take care lovelies and if you want to let me know what you’re reading, add it into the comments so I can take a peek. Just because I'm not buying, doesn't mean I'm not interested.

Comments

  1. Dear Angela! It’s such a joy to read about your experiment! I do not think I am ready for it, BUT thanks to YOU I started reading way more books from my shelves... although it did not slow down my 99p a book splurges! I love the idea choosing for you! Indeed, all the way from the Middle East, and being born in the former Soviet Union: it will indeed be a great fun experiment!!! Let’s do it as soon, as you are ready to buy books again!!! I loved the frase “The company of books still brings comfort, adventure, escape and peace.” Goodness, it’s SO TRUE!!! I am currently in low spirits, so I am contemplating re-reading for the first time in 25 years (!) my childhood favorite, Karlson Who Lives On The Roof by Astrid Lindgren. I am also, by your recommendation, reading Bird by Bird, as well as a detective story The Othe Mrs. walker (I got it in Glasgow, it was the best crime book of the year 2017). Hugs and good luck with your resolution!
    PS it’s so sweet how you and Andy talk about where you bought the books ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to hear you have been encouraged to scour the shelves and see what was available. I understand the 99p book splurge though. I have missed these!

      I will let you know when I am ready for you to choose books for me. I think we will have some fun. And now I have two more books to add to my list - your childhood favourite and the one you got in Glasgow. Was that when we were together there?

      I shall keep going now. A little like your 10,000 steps. I don't want to break the trend now!

      Delete
    2. Oh and just in case you are wondering, my childhood favourite was The Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts