Nanowrimo

So it's Nanowrimo time of year again.  The event kicked off last week on Thursday and I foolishly signed up again. For anyone that doesn't know Nanowrimo stands for National Novel Writing Month. The premise is that once you sign up, you commit to writing at least 50,000 words of your novel during the month of November. Last year I finished at just over 52,000 words although I have to admit 10,000 of them were written in the last two days. A deadline does have its advantages!

I have signed up this year in the hope that it will help me progress my novel. A commitment to write as well as having to input wordcount that is visible to others is a good incentive and after all I do want to finish this novel by the end of the year (big sigh).

In addition to getting online support, you can join regional forums and attend write-ins with others that are attempting Nanowrimo too. Seeing others with full-time jobs, families and priorities clocking up their wordcount and whizzing past your efforts also acts as a darn good kick up the backside. It's also a lot of fun to be around other writers and to all be in the same boat with familiar issues.

As an additional incentive to jump start my writing, I've decided to update my progress on this blog in a kind of Bridget Jones style, so keep watching to see how I'm progressing and if you're doing Nano too, please say hello and let me know how it's going for you in the comments.



Comments

Popular Posts